Constant of Integration — Question 3

PDF ↗

Question 3

Let ff be a continuous function on an interval II. Suppose that ∫f(x)dx=F(x)+C1and∫f(x)dx=G(x)+C2\int f(x)\,dx = F(x)+C_1 \quad\text{and}\quad \int f(x)\,dx = G(x)+C_2 are two indefinite integrals of ff. Prove that F(x)−G(x)=constant.F(x)-G(x)=\text{constant}.

Original worksheet page 1: question and worked solution for 7-9-003
Show solutionHide solution

Question 3 - Solution

Since both expressions represent antiderivatives of ff, we have F′(x)=f(x)andG′(x)=f(x)for all x∈I.F'(x)=f(x) \quad\text{and}\quad G'(x)=f(x) \quad\text{for all }x\in I.

Consider the difference of the two functions: H(x)=F(x)−G(x).H(x)=F(x)-G(x).

Differentiate H(x)H(x): H′(x)=F′(x)−G′(x)=f(x)−f(x)=0for all x∈I.H'(x)=F'(x)-G'(x)=f(x)-f(x)=0 \quad\text{for all }x\in I.

Thus, the derivative of HH is zero on the interval II.

From the Mean Value Theorem, a function whose derivative is zero everywhere on an interval must be constant. Therefore, there exists a real number KK such that H(x)=Kfor all x∈I.H(x)=K \quad\text{for all }x\in I.

Substituting back for H(x)H(x) gives F(x)−G(x)=K.F(x)-G(x)=K.

F(x)−G(x)=constant\boxed{F(x)-G(x)=\text{constant}}

Original worksheet page 2: question and worked solution for 7-9-003

Original worksheet layout. Use Enlarge or open the PDF for a closer view.