Area with Parametric Equations — Question 9

PDF ↗

Question 9

Problem

A designer reverses a parametrization on 0≤t≤10\le t\le1 by replacing tt with 1−t1-t. What happens to the signed area integral ∫yx′dt\int yx'\,dt?

See the diagram in the original worksheet below.

Original worksheet page 1: question and worked solution for 3-3-009
Show solutionHide solution

Question 9 – Solution

See the diagram in the original worksheet below.

Solution

  1. Let the original parametrization be (x(t),y(t))(x(t),y(t)) on 0≤t≤10\le t\le1, with signed integral I=∫01y(t)x′(t)dt.I=\int_0^1y(t)x'(t)\,dt.

  2. Under the reversed parametrization, set u=1−tu=1-t. The new coordinates are x̃(t)=x(1−t),ỹ(t)=y(1−t).\widetilde x(t)=x(1-t), \qquad \widetilde y(t)=y(1-t). By the chain rule, x̃′(t)=−x′(1−t).\widetilde x'(t)=-x'(1-t).

  3. The reversed signed integral is Ĩ=∫01ỹ(t)x̃′(t)dt=−∫01y(1−t)x′(1−t)dt.\begin{aligned} \widetilde I &=\int_0^1\widetilde y(t)\widetilde x'(t)\,dt\\ &=-\int_0^1y(1-t)x'(1-t)\,dt. \end{aligned} Substituting u=1−tu=1-t shows that Ĩ=−I\widetilde I=-I.

  4. Therefore, reversing the parametrization changes the sign of the signed area integral but not its magnitude: Ĩ=−I,|Ĩ|=|I|.\boxed{\widetilde I=-I, \qquad |\widetilde I|=|I|}. The geometric area is unchanged.

Original worksheet page 2: question and worked solution for 3-3-009

Original worksheet layout. Use Enlarge or open the PDF for a closer view.