Iterated Integrals — Question 4

PDF ↗

Question 4

A student is given I=∫−11∫02(x−2y)dxdyI=\int_{-1}^{1}\int_0^2(x-2y)\,dx\,dy and claims the inner integral is [x2/2−2xy]−11[x^2/2-2xy]_{-1}^{1}.

Tasks

  1. Diagnose the student’s error using the differential and bounds.

  2. Evaluate the integral correctly as written.

  3. Reverse the order on the same rectangle and verify the result.

Original worksheet page 1: question and worked solution for 4-2-004
Show solutionHide solution

Question 4 – Solution

Strategy. Read an iterated integral from the inside out: the inner differential determines both the variable of integration and which pair of bounds belongs to it.

Step 1: Diagnose The inner differential is dxdx, so xx runs from 00 to 22 while yy is held constant. The student incorrectly used the outer yy-bounds, −1-1 and 11, as xx-bounds.

Step 2: Evaluate as written I=∫−11[x22−2yx]02dy=∫−11(2−4y)dy=[2y−2y2]−11=4.\begin{align*} I&=\int_{-1}^{1}\left[\frac{x^2}{2}-2yx\right]_0^2dy =\int_{-1}^{1}(2-4y)\,dy\\ &=[2y-2y^2]_{-1}^{1}=\boxed{4}. \end{align*} The odd contribution −4y-4y cancels over [−1,1][-1,1].

Step 3: Reverse correctly Constant rectangular bounds reverse to I=∫02∫−11(x−2y)dydx.I=\int_0^2\int_{-1}^{1}(x-2y)\,dy\,dx. Then I=∫02[xy−y2]−11dx=∫022xdx=[x2]02=4.\begin{align*} I&=\int_0^2[xy-y^2]_{-1}^{1}\,dx =\int_0^2 2x\,dx=[x^2]_0^2=4. \end{align*} The agreement verifies both the order reversal and the association of each bound pair with its variable.

Original worksheet page 2: question and worked solution for 4-2-004

Original worksheet layout. Use Enlarge or open the PDF for a closer view.