Double Integrals over General Regions — Question 6

PDF ↗

Question 6

Consider I=∫01∫y1ex2dxdy.I=\int_0^1\int_y^1 e^{x^2}\,dx\,dy.

Tasks

  1. Describe the triangular region represented by the bounds.

  2. Explain why the displayed order is not convenient for elementary integration.

  3. Reverse the order and evaluate II exactly.

Original worksheet page 1: question and worked solution for 4-3-006
Show solutionHide solution

Question 6 – Solution

Strategy. Draw the triangle 0≤y≤x≤10\le y\le x\le 1; reversing the order creates an inner interval whose length supplies the factor needed for substitution.

See the diagram in the original worksheet below.

Step 1: Region The displayed bounds say 0≤y≤10\le y\le 1 and y≤x≤1y\le x\le 1. Equivalently, D={(x,y):0≤x≤1,0≤y≤x}.D=\{(x,y):0\le x\le 1,\ 0\le y\le x\}.

Step 2: Why reverse In the given order, the inner antiderivative ∫ex2dx\int e^{x^2}dx is not elementary. With dydy first, ex2e^{x^2} is constant in the inner variable.

Step 3: Reversed evaluation I=∫01∫0xex2dydx=∫01xex2dx=12∫01eudu=e−12,u=x2.\begin{align*} I&=\int_0^1\int_0^x e^{x^2}\,dy\,dx =\int_0^1xe^{x^2}\,dx\\ &=\frac 12\int_0^1e^u\,du =\boxed{\frac{e-1}{2}},\qquad u=x^2. \end{align*} The integrand and region are positive, so the positive result is consistent. Differentiating ex2/2e^{x^2}/2 returns xex2xe^{x^2}.

Original worksheet page 2: question and worked solution for 4-3-006

Original worksheet layout. Use Enlarge or open the PDF for a closer view.