Triple Integrals in Cylindrical Coordinates — Question 1

PDF ↗

Question 1

Let E={(x,y,z):x2+y2≤4,x≥0,y≥0,−1≤z≤2}.E=\{(x,y,z):x^2+y^2\le 4,\ x\ge 0,\ y\ge 0,\ -1\le z\le 2\}. Evaluate ∭E(x2+y2)dV\iiint_E(x^2+y^2)\,dV using cylindrical coordinates.

Tasks

  1. Convert the region, integrand, and volume element.

  2. Evaluate the cylindrical integral.

  3. Verify the result using an average value.

Original worksheet page 1: question and worked solution for 4-6-001
Show solutionHide solution

Question 1 – Solution

Strategy. Treat the solid as a quarter-cylinder; radial symmetry makes the integrand r2r^2.

Step 1: Convert Cylindrical coordinates give x=rcos⁡θ,y=rsin⁡θ,x2+y2=r2,dV=rdzdrdθ.x=r\cos\theta,\quad y=r\sin\theta,\quad x^2+y^2=r^2, \quad dV=r\,dz\,dr\,d\theta. The first-quadrant quarter-cylinder has bounds 0≤θ≤π2,0≤r≤2,−1≤z≤2.0\le\theta\le\frac\pi 2,\qquad 0\le r\le 2, \qquad -1\le z\le 2.

Step 2: Evaluate I=∫0π/2∫02∫−12r2(rdzdrdθ)=(π2)(3)[r44]02=6π.\begin{align*} I&=\int_0^{\pi/2}\int_0^2\int_{-1}^2 r^2(r\,dz\,dr\,d\theta)\\ &=\left(\frac\pi 2\right)(3)\left[\frac{r^4}{4}\right]_0^2 =\boxed{6\pi}. \end{align*}

Verification The volume is (π22/4)(3)=3π(\pi 2^2/4)(3)=3\pi. On a radius-22 disk, the average of r2r^2 is 22/2=22^2/2=2; restricting to one quadrant does not change that radial average. Thus I=(3π)(2)=6πI=(3\pi)(2)=6\pi.

Original worksheet page 2: question and worked solution for 4-6-001

Original worksheet layout. Use Enlarge or open the PDF for a closer view.