Separable Equations — Question 8

PDF ↗

Question 8

Consider the parameterized initial-value problem y′=(sin⁡x)y2,y(0)=a,a>0.y'=(\sin x)y^2,\qquad y(0)=a,\qquad a>0.

Tasks

  1. Solve by separation and determine the maximal open interval containing 00 for every positive aa.

  2. Find the precise threshold separating global bounded solutions from finite-endpoint blow-up. Include the threshold case.

  3. For the global solutions, find the minimum, maximum, and a period.

  4. A student argues that ∫02πsin⁡xdx=0\int_0^{2\pi}\sin x\,dx=0 guarantees y(2π)=ay(2\pi)=a for every a>0a>0. Explain exactly when this reasoning is valid and why it can fail.

Original worksheet page 1: question and worked solution for 2-2-008
Show solutionHide solution

Question 8 – Solution

Strategy. Track the denominator of the separated formula throughout an interval, not merely at its endpoints.

Step 1: Integrate. Since a>0a>0, separation is valid near 00: −1y=−cos⁡x+C,y=a1−a+acos⁡x.-\frac 1y=-\cos x+C,\qquad \boxed{y=\frac{a}{1-a+a\cos x}}. Its derivative is a2sin⁡x/(1−a+acos⁡x)2=(sin⁡x)y2a^2\sin x/(1-a+a\cos x)^2=(\sin x)y^2, and y(0)=ay(0)=a.

Step 2: Classify all positive parameters. The denominator D=1−a+acos⁡xD=1-a+a\cos x ranges from 1−2a1-2a to 11.

  • If 0<a<1/20<a<1/2, then D>0D>0 everywhere: I=ℝI=\mathbb R and yy is bounded.

  • If a=1/2a=1/2, then y=1/(1+cos⁡x)y=1/(1+\cos x) and I=(−π,π)I=(-\pi,\pi).

  • If a>1/2a>1/2, let α=arccos⁡(1−1/a)∈(0,π)\alpha=\arccos(1-1/a)\in(0,\pi). Then I=(−α,α)I=(-\alpha,\alpha).

In the last two cases D↓0D\downarrow 0 at either endpoint from inside II, so y→+∞y\to+\infty. Thus the threshold itself already blows up.

Step 3: Determine extrema and audit the return claim. For 0<a<1/20<a<1/2, min⁡y=a\min y=a at x=2nπx=2n\pi and max⁡y=a/(1−2a)\max y=a/(1-2a) at x=(2n+1)πx=(2n+1)\pi, n∈ℤn\in\mathbb Z; 2π2\pi is a period. Only this parameter range gives a solution through the full cycle. For a≥1/2a\ge 1/2, a pole occurs before reaching 2π2\pi. Substituting 2π2\pi into the algebraic formula gives a value on a disconnected branch, not a continuation of the initial solution.

See the diagram in the original worksheet below.

Original worksheet page 2: question and worked solution for 2-2-008

Original worksheet layout. Use Enlarge or open the PDF for a closer view.