Dirac Delta Function — Question 5

PDF ↗

Question 5

Use causal one-sided Laplace transforms. Write Ha(t)=0H_a(t)=0 for t<at<a and 11 for t≥at\ge a. The unit impulse satisfies ∫ϕ(t)δ(t−a)dt=ϕ(a)\int\phi(t)\delta(t-a)\,dt=\phi(a) for continuous ϕ\phi near aa. Interpret equations between impulses and through their jump conditions; use right-hand values at jumps. Write [v]a=v(a+)−v(a−)[v]_a=v(a^+)-v(a^-) for a jump.

Two impulses act on an initially resting undamped oscillator: y″+ω2y=Iδ(t−a)+Kδ(t−b),y(0)=y′(0)=0,I,ω>0,0<a<b.y''+\omega^2y=I\delta(t-a)+K\delta(t-b),\quad y(0)=y'(0)=0, \quad I,\omega>0,\quad 0<a<b. Require complete rest after the second impulse.

Tasks

  1. Find the transformed response and the time-domain solution.

  2. Classify all delays b−ab-a and strengths KK that meet the rest condition.

  3. If KK must be positive, find the earliest possible second impulse. Explain why the net impulse need not be zero.

  4. Keep this earliest positive strength, but deliver it at b+ηb+\eta, where |η|<π/ω|\eta|<\pi/\omega. Find the residual amplitude and its leading behavior as η→0\eta\to 0.

Original worksheet page 1: question and worked solution for 4-8-005
Show solutionHide solution

Question 5 – Solution

Strategy. The second kick must occur at a zero of displacement, then cancel the incoming velocity. Timing errors leave a measurable residual oscillation.

Step 1: Transform and invert. For s>0s>0, Y=Ie−as+Ke−bss2+ω2,y=IωHa(t)sin⁡ω(t−a)+KωHb(t)sin⁡ω(t−b).Y=\frac{Ie^{-as}+Ke^{-bs}}{s^2+\omega^2},\qquad \boxed{y=\frac I\omega H_a(t)\sin\omega(t-a) +\frac K\omega H_b(t)\sin\omega(t-b).} Each activated sine is zero initially, with derivative equal to its impulse strength. Thus yy is continuous and [y′]a=I[y']_a=I, [y′]b=K[y']_b=K.

Step 2: Impose both state conditions. For d=b−ad=b-a, the pre-impact state is y(b−)=Iωsin⁡ωd,y′(b−)=Icos⁡ωd.y(b-)=\frac I\omega\sin\omega d,\qquad y'(b-)=I\cos\omega d. Displacement cannot jump. Therefore complete rest requires and is ensured by d=nπω,K=(−1)n+1I,n=1,2,….\boxed{d=\frac{n\pi}{\omega},\qquad K=(-1)^{n+1}I,\qquad n=1,2,\ldots.} After these jumps the homogeneous oscillator has zero data, so it remains zero. The corresponding output has compact support and a transform for every real ss.

Step 3: Restrict the second impulse to be positive. Positive KK requires odd nn. The earliest choice is b=a+π/ω,K=I\boxed{b=a+\pi/\omega,\ K=I}. The net applied impulse is 2I2I, yet the oscillator stops: during the intervening motion the restoring force also changes momentum. Indeed ∫abω2ydt=2I\int_a^b\omega^2y\,dt=2I, balancing the applied impulses in the integrated equation. Ignoring this force would give an incorrect momentum test.

Step 4: Quantify a timing error. At the actual second kick the age is π/ω+η>0\pi/\omega+\eta>0. The state immediately afterward is y+=−Iωsin⁡ωη,v+=I(1−cos⁡ωη).y_+=-\frac I\omega\sin\omega\eta,\qquad v_+=I(1-\cos\omega\eta). The subsequent homogeneous amplitude is R=y+2+(v+/ω)2=2Iω|sin⁡(ωη/2)|=I|η|+O(|η|3).R=\sqrt{y_+^2+(v_+/\omega)^2} =\boxed{\frac{2I}{\omega}|\sin(\omega\eta/2)|} =I|\eta|+O(|\eta|^3). For every nonzero η\eta in the stated interval this amplitude is positive, so the tail’s exact real transform domain is s>0s>0. The plot compares perfect timing and η=0.25\eta=0.25 for I=ω=a=1I=\omega=a=1.

See the diagram in the original worksheet below.

Original worksheet page 2: question and worked solution for 4-8-005

Original worksheet layout. Use Enlarge or open the PDF for a closer view.