Dirac Delta Function — Question 10

PDF ↗

Question 10

Use causal one-sided Laplace transforms. Write Ha(t)=0H_a(t)=0 for t<at<a and 11 for t≥at\ge a. The unit impulse satisfies ∫ϕ(t)δ(t−a)dt=ϕ(a)\int\phi(t)\delta(t-a)\,dt=\phi(a) for continuous ϕ\phi near aa. Interpret equations between impulses and through their jump conditions; use right-hand values at jumps. Write [v]a=v(a+)−v(a−)[v]_a=v(a^+)-v(a^-) for a jump.

A leaky system receives a sequence of equal positive impulses: y′+κy=I∑n=1∞δ(t−nT),y(0)=0,I,κ,T>0.y'+\kappa y=I\sum_{n=1}^\infty\delta(t-nT),\qquad y(0)=0, \qquad I,\kappa,T>0. The first impulse is at TT, not at zero. Use right-hand response values at each impulse.

Tasks

  1. Derive Y(s)Y(s) by a geometric series and give the locally finite time-domain sum.

  2. For xn=y(nT+)x_n=y(nT^+) and x0=0x_0=0, derive and solve the recurrence for post-impulse values.

  3. Find the attracting periodic profile and the exact transient error. State its peak, pre-impulse trough and cycle mean, distinguishing a left limit from an attained value.

  4. For I=κ=1I=\kappa=1, classify all TT for which the steady peak is at most 22 while the steady cycle mean is at least 11. State whether y(t)y(t) has a single long-time limit.

Original worksheet page 1: question and worked solution for 4-8-010
Show solutionHide solution

Question 10 – Solution

Strategy. Each impulse adds II to the state, while the gap between impulses multiplies it by an exponential. The cycle map determines the limiting profile.

Step 1: Sum the transforms and invert. For s>0s>0, the impulse series converges geometrically: (s+κ)Y=I∑n=1∞e−nTs=Ie−Ts1−e−Ts,Y=Ie−Ts(s+κ)(1−e−Ts).(s+\kappa)Y=I\sum_{n=1}^\infty e^{-nTs} =\frac{Ie^{-Ts}}{1-e^{-Ts}},\qquad \boxed{Y=\frac{Ie^{-Ts}}{(s+\kappa)(1-e^{-Ts})}.} Thus y(t)=I∑n=1∞HnT(t)e−κ(t−nT).y(t)=I\sum_{n=1}^\infty H_{nT}(t)e^{-\kappa(t-nT)}. Only finitely many terms are active at each time. The formula gives zero before TT, jumps of II, and y′+κy=0y'+\kappa y=0 between impulses.

Step 2: Solve the post-impulse recurrence. Put q=e−κT∈(0,1)q=e^{-\kappa T}\in(0,1). Decay followed by a jump gives xn=qxn−1+I,xn=I(1−qn)1−q,n≥0.x_n=qx_{n-1}+I,\qquad \boxed{x_n=\frac{I(1-q^n)}{1-q},\quad n\ge 0.} The steady post-impulse level is P=I/(1−q)P=I/(1-q).

Step 3: Construct the profile and compare. For t=nT+τt=nT+\tau, 0≤τ<T0\le\tau<T, define yper(t)=Pe−κτy_{\mathrm{per}}(t)=P e^{-\kappa\tau}. Then y(t)=xne−κτy(t)=x_n e^{-\kappa\tau}, including n=0n=0, and yper(t)−y(t)=Pe−κt.\boxed{y_{\mathrm{per}}(t)-y(t)=P e^{-\kappa t}.} The profile’s peak PP is attained just after each impulse. Its pre-impulse trough is the left limit qPqP; under the right-hand convention this infimum is not attained within a cycle. Its mean is 1T∫0TPe−κτdτ=IκT.\frac 1T\int_0^T P e^{-\kappa\tau}\,d\tau=\boxed{\frac I{\kappa T}}. The jump P−qP=IP-qP=I is preserved in the limit, not smoothed away.

Step 4: Design a feasible spacing and interpret. With I=κ=1I=\kappa=1, the peak constraint gives 1/(1−e−T)≤21/(1-e^{-T})\le 2, equivalent to T≥ln⁡2T\ge\ln 2. The mean constraint gives 1/T≥11/T\ge 1, equivalent to T≤1T\le 1. Therefore ln⁡2≤T≤1.\boxed{\ln 2\le T\le 1.} There is no single long-time limit: samples at nTnT tend to PP, while samples at nT+T/2nT+T/2 tend to the different value Pe−κT/2Pe^{-\kappa T/2}. Both responses have exact real transform domain s>0s>0 because their persistent positive cycles prevent convergence at or below zero. The plot uses I=κ=T=1I=\kappa=T=1 and marks the jump endpoints explicitly.

See the diagram in the original worksheet below.

Original worksheet page 2: question and worked solution for 4-8-010

Original worksheet layout. Use Enlarge or open the PDF for a closer view.