Repeated Eigenvalues — Question 2

PDF ↗

Question 2

Let X′=NX,N=(1−11−1).X'=NX,\qquad N=\begin{pmatrix}1&-1\\1&-1\end{pmatrix}. Both eigenvalues are zero. A matrix is nilpotent if some positive power of it is zero; investigate the effect on the actual motion.

Tasks

  1. Compute N2N^2, find the entire equilibrium set, and determine its dimension.

  2. Find the normalized evolution matrix and the solution from arbitrary (p,q)T(p,q)^T. Verify the evolution law directly.

  3. For initial data outside the equilibrium line, find the phase trajectory and its time direction. Can it reach that line at a finite or infinite forward time?

  4. Classify all forward-bounded solutions. Decide whether the origin is stable in the sense that sufficiently small initial states remain small for all t≥0t\ge 0.

Original worksheet page 1: question and worked solution for 5-9-002
Show solutionHide solution

Question 2 – Solution

Strategy. A zero eigenvalue can preserve an equilibrium line while a nilpotent part creates unbounded drift parallel to it.

Step 1: Identify the nilpotent part and equilibria. Direct multiplication gives N2=0N^2=0 but N≠0N\ne 0. The equation NX=0NX=0 requires x=yx=y, so the equilibria form the one-dimensional line L={(s,s):s∈ℝ}L=\{(s,s):s\in\mathbb R\}. The double zero eigenvalue has only one independent eigendirection.

Step 2: Construct the complete flow. The matrix F(t)=I+tNF(t)=I+tN has F(0)=IF(0)=I and F′=N=NFF'=N=NF, since N2=0N^2=0. Thus X(t)=(pq)+t(p−q)(11).\boxed{X(t)=\binom pq+t(p-q)\binom 11.} Also (I+tN)(I+sN)=I+(t+s)N(I+tN)(I+sN)=I+(t+s)N, verifying the evolution law and F(t)−1=F(−t)F(t)^{-1}=F(-t). All real initial states and all real times are allowed.

Step 3: Find the drifting straight lines. Put d=p−qd=p-q. If d≠0d\ne 0, then x−y=dx-y=d for every time and the velocity is the constant vector d(1,1)Td(1,1)^T. Thus the full orbit is the entire line x−y=dx-y=d, traversed up/right for d>0d>0 and down/left for d<0d<0. Its distance to LL stays |d|/2>0|d|/\sqrt 2>0, so it neither reaches nor approaches the equilibrium line. If d=0d=0, the orbit is one fixed point, not the entire line LL.

Step 4: Test boundedness and stability. Exactly p=qp=q gives a forward-bounded solution; all other solutions drift without bound. The origin is unstable: initial (ε,0)(\varepsilon,0) can be arbitrarily small, yet evolves to (ε(1+t),εt)(\varepsilon(1+t),\varepsilon t), eventually leaving any fixed neighborhood. Zero real parts alone do not ensure boundedness or stability when a nonzero nilpotent part is present. The dashed line in the figure consists of separate equilibria.

See the diagram in the original worksheet below.

Original worksheet page 2: question and worked solution for 5-9-002

Original worksheet layout. Use Enlarge or open the PDF for a closer view.