Iterated Integrals — Question 3

PDF ↗

Question 3

Consider I=∫01∫02xexydydx.I=\int_0^1\int_0^2 xe^{xy}\,dy\,dx.

Tasks

  1. Evaluate II using the displayed order.

  2. Write the reversed iterated integral and its inner antiderivative for y≠0y\ne 0.

  3. Explain why the displayed order is substantially more efficient and check the behavior at x=0x=0.

Original worksheet page 1: question and worked solution for 4-2-003
Show solutionHide solution

Question 3 – Solution

Strategy. Treat xx as constant in the inner integral; the factor xx is exactly the derivative needed for exye^{xy} with respect to yy.

Step 1: Efficient order For x≠0x\ne 0, ∫02xexydy=[exy]02=e2x−1.\int_0^2xe^{xy}\,dy=[e^{xy}]_0^2=e^{2x}-1. At x=0x=0 the original integrand is identically zero and the same expression gives e0−1=0e^0-1=0, so the formula extends continuously. Hence I=∫01(e2x−1)dx=[12e2x−x]01=e2−32.\begin{align*} I&=\int_0^1(e^{2x}-1)\,dx =\left[\frac 12e^{2x}-x\right]_0^1\\ &=\boxed{\frac{e^2-3}{2}}. \end{align*}

Step 2: Reversed order The rectangle permits I=∫02∫01xexydxdy.I=\int_0^2\int_0^1xe^{xy}\,dx\,dy. For y≠0y\ne 0, integration by parts gives ∫xexydx=exy(xy−1)y2+C,\int xe^{xy}\,dx=\frac{e^{xy}(xy-1)}{y^2}+C, so the inner result is ey(y−1)+1y2.\frac{e^y(y-1)+1}{y^2}.

Step 3: Efficiency and verification The reversed expression has a removable singular appearance at y=0y=0 and requires another nonobvious antiderivative. The original order collapses immediately by substitution. Continuity of xexyxe^{xy} on the rectangle guarantees by Fubini’s theorem that either completed order has the same value.

Original worksheet page 2: question and worked solution for 4-2-003

Original worksheet layout. Use Enlarge or open the PDF for a closer view.