Triple Integrals in Spherical Coordinates — Question 4

PDF ↗

Question 4

Let EE be the upper half of the ball x2+y2+z2≤9x^2+y^2+z^2\le 9.

Tasks

  1. Use spherical coordinates to compute ∭EzdV\iiint_E z\,dV.

  2. Find the average height zavgz_{\mathrm{avg}}.

  3. Check its geometric range.

Original worksheet page 1: question and worked solution for 4-7-004
Show solutionHide solution

Question 4 – Solution

Strategy. Write z=ρcos⁡ϕz=\rho\cos\phi and use the upper-hemisphere bounds 0≤ϕ≤π/20\le\phi\le\pi/2.

Step 1: Geometry and integral

See the diagram in the original worksheet below.

I=∫02π∫0π/2∫03(ρcos⁡ϕ)ρ2sin⁡ϕdρdϕdθ=(2π)[sin⁡2ϕ2]0π/2[ρ44]03=81π4.\begin{align*} I&=\int_0^{2\pi}\int_0^{\pi/2}\int_0^3 (\rho\cos\phi)\rho^2\sin\phi\,d\rho\,d\phi\,d\theta\\ &=(2\pi)\left[\frac{\sin^2\phi}{2}\right]_0^{\pi/2} \left[\frac{\rho^4}{4}\right]_0^3 =\boxed{\frac{81\pi}{4}}. \end{align*}

Step 2: Average height The hemisphere volume is V=124π3(33)=18πV=\frac 12\frac{4\pi}{3}(3^3)=18\pi. Thus zavg=IV=98.\boxed{z_{\mathrm{avg}}=\frac{I}{V}=\frac 98}.

Verification Every point has 0≤z≤30\le z\le 3, and 9/89/8 lies in that interval. The value is below the mid-height 3/23/2 because cross-sectional area is greatest near z=0z=0.

Original worksheet page 2: question and worked solution for 4-7-004

Original worksheet layout. Use Enlarge or open the PDF for a closer view.